Like what you read?

Like what you read?
Please vote daily! Just click on the banner!

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Talk This One

"Mommy, I want this one. Look, mommy, look."

So, now my 2GO3 understands that he can ask for and possibly (likely) receive things besides the necessities of life - food, beverage, swinging, and these days some TV time.

"H, I'm in the shower. Can you tell me what you want?"
"Car, mommy, this one."
"H, I can't see it while I'm in the shower. Can you tell me about it?"
"No. This one, see mommy?"

Once I've had the opportunity to extract myself from the shower and dry off, it turns out he wants Finn McMissile. aka Bin Msissle - or something close to that. I tell you, it's hard to try to spell these phonetically sometimes. I'm not even sure how he makes some of the words he does.

This morning, our day started in earnest. I just love the moments when he is so animated and concentrating on telling me something he can hardly make it through the words. As we made our way down the stairs this morning, he stopped and just got this look on his face as if he just discovered the secret to the world and it's very survival depended upon his ability to relate it to me. Honestly, I can't even remember what the topic was but it was of the utmost importance to him at the time. Once satisfactorily related, we continued on our way. It is moments like these that I wish I had a secret video camera built into some article of clothing so I could share the child awe and earnestness that he displays at times. I'm sure all kids do this. I know people often rue the inability to retain the energy of a child, but me, I would love to retain that certain wonder and awe the world holds and communicating it is almost more than can be accomplished at the moment in time.

What's so special about Finn? Nothing really. H doesn't even know who he is or what he does.
We've seen this character as a toy numerous times and he has shown no interest. Why now? Of that I'm not sure but he definitelly has the idea he wants one. It was the one topic of dicussion tonight on our Skype chat with Daddy in an otherwise silent but squirmy encounter.

We have Cars 2 but I didn't feel it was appropriate so he's never actually seen it. We do, however, have a book about some of the characters in Cars 2 with four line rhymes describing them and their roles in the story. Along with this book came miniatures of these characters. H doesn't really like them as the wheels don't move. He finds that disappointing. Anyhow, he has latched onto this book of late.

He looks through the pictures and when he reaches one he wants to know about he says "Mommy, talk this one." His version of asking me to read the page to him. I've had to quickly learn who these characters are so when prompted or asked for some seemingly nonsensical item, I can quickly deduce which one he is desirous of having or hearing about.

"Mommy, talk this one. Mommy, this one (he blows air out quickly a few times as if blowing off something.)"

"The Professor and his Lemon team will try to pull off a ruthless scheme. He's designed a cruel invention to blow up (GET IT???) the racers' engines." It took a time or two but both Daddy and I got the correlation and laughed about it.

"Mommy, why osseser want blow cars?"
"I don't know but he's not very nice."
"For? Why he not happy?"

Truly that is the question isn't it? When someone wants to do something "not nice," they ultimately are not happy. What's they saying? Out of the mouth of babes?


No comments:

Post a Comment