Like what you read?

Like what you read?
Please vote daily! Just click on the banner!

Monday, May 21, 2012

Babe's up there....

You know how everyonone has pet names for his or her loved ones? In our house we have used various ones for H since he was a baby. I have settled on alternately using Bud or Sweetheart. I figure I can't call him "Baby" for much longer or he will disown me even before we get into his teen years....

H is becoming more aware of the world around him. He actually listens to the words spoken around him including music and television (which are limited to ones approved for him thus far about half a dozen each) but also the radio, which he often asks me to turn off when I pick him up from school, and those around him, store intercoms, conversations by others. He will occassionally ask about or repeat a word he hears when he is unsure of the meaning. He has always been keenly observant and I suspect his is still so just not overt about letting us know what he's seeing or missing or hearing. Of course, if something is amiss, a door is open, something is on the floor out of place he is still quick to tell me about it.

It's pretty rare when I get to spend time in the house in a room other than H. With hubby traveling, whenever I have to go into another room I tell H where I'm going and wait for him to acknowledge that statement. We do this more now since we have gutted our downstairs bathroom. This project was supposed to be quick (ha ha) and is now getting to the point of just being inconvenient. I lived in a house for nine years that had a bathroom upstairs or downstairs so if you had to it was always via the stairs. Now, I am finding myself mildly irritated by having to go upstairs all the time. With H in training, I have to admit it is a bit old even for him. Speaking of training, I discovered H's school used a child "seat" that sits on the regular seat for training. It seemed like a good idea. H complains about his legs sticking to his little potty (cheap version without characters or sounds of any kinds). So, we purchased a (cheap version that had generic ducks) child seat this weekend to see if that would help us get to the goal of going poop on the potty. We can now say let's go use your "big boy" potty which he likes to hear. "I go on big boy potty, Mommy!" Let me say he's been a trooper this week. He had an accident at school Thursday and one Sunday afternoon but otherwise it's been Thomas the Tank all week. So good so far. I digress.

I was upstairs doing some menial house cleaning task (accomplished usually on weekends when I have a diversion for toddler sized tag along). Apparently hubby was calling me. H was playing in the entry way (the only safe place for our toddler sized basketball hoop.) Suddenly, I hear out and out laughing.

Hubby and I don't get too mushy or cutesy with the nicknames. We have settled on one for each that is short and fits the bill 99% of the time. For some reason it's just kind of weird calling each other by name so we usually resort to no name as there is only one other adult in the household or the ascribed nickname. I use "Hon." He uses "Babe."

H has been known to call up stairs when I tell him to ask Daddy to come down for dinner "Hon, supper please!" (with accurate intonation and inflection I might add.) So, it was really funny when I heard the backstory to the laugh fest.

Hubby was calling me and when he walked into the entryway, H told him "Babe's up there!"

No comments:

Post a Comment