Like what you read?

Like what you read?
Please vote daily! Just click on the banner!

Monday, March 12, 2012

Saying of the Day and Hooray for Daylight Savings

"What cars doin' mommy?
"I don't know H. What are the cars doing?"
"Bein' cars."

After a late night last night with a couple of coughing episodes brought on by some (I'm pretty sure) allergies, H slept in this morning. There are very few moments that are worth it to wake him up earlier than he is ready to wake up and function for the day. H has a habit of waking up and seeing that I'm not there, rushing to the door with the gate (to keep dog and cats out not so much to keep him in) and crying "I wake up Mommy!"

In all my momminess, I try to gage whether he is actually ready to wake up or whether he has just gotten up because I wasn't there. When it is the latter, I convince him it's too early and he should go back to bed. By convincing, I mean I lay in bed and groggily tell him it's too early. He cries a bit back and forth about wanting to wake up but will usually go back, lay down, and promptly fall back asleep for a while. I can then lay in bed (I can't get up because I might wakeh him up early and then the morning it toast) and wait for his chipper "I wake up Mommy" moment which tells me he really is ready to wake up.

So, we were not on time for anything this morning due to night time interruptions. At the daycare I must have had a resigned to being out of whack today look on my face. The director said all the parents today had the same "DST" look! Fortunately H seemed to not have been too far off schedule today. He was chipper and eager to see me at the end of the day when I picked him up. It was a gorgeous day outside. The sky cleared (which was a relief as we had a moat around our yard for all of yesterday from all the much needed rain - there are no drainage pipes just concave ditches to let the water flow down except in our case we are the down end and there is no where else to go until it gets soaked into the ground eventually), it was mid 60's, and not breezy.

So, after our getting home duties of feeding the pets and a little down time on H's part - watching Cars from the point the tractors stampeded through town to the end, I convinced him to go outside to play with us (me and our crazy - as in drive me crazy - dog).

In an effort to take said dog for at least some kind of walk, we actually got his bike (tricycle) out and "rode" it down the driveway and partway to the corner. By riding, I mean I pushed him up the slight incline that is our street to the street corner where he abandoned it. He can pedal and does so really well when he is going down the incline. He is not so skilled at going up yet. I really wished I would have sprung for one of those trikes that has the push handle on it some days....Anyhow, after turning down his request to bring out the wagon, I convinced him to walk to the end of the block (three houses) with said dog. He readily agreed when he saw a landscaper's truck and trailer two houses down. Trucks and trailers (of which there are more than you can shake a stick at here in NE TX) are a thing of beauty to him. We had a guy come mow and clean up the lawn (not having done so since moving in last fall) and H fell in love with this guy's "pretty" red truck. He was bummed when the guy left and took his truck with him. Side note, H also called my red roses I got for VDay pretty so at least he has a broad category for that word.

We made it all the way down the block, checked out the neighbor's trailer, too, and managed to occupy our time with sticks and rocks along the road for a leisurely stroll back to our house. H was so cute. He was willing to hold my hand most of the way when not looking for little rocks along the road. It was so nice out we stayed outside and wrote with sidewalk chalk, threw the tennis ball and kicked the soccer ball for crazy dog who was well behaved and didn't take off on her own, and generally had a great time out of doors. Upon querying if H was hungry, we reluctantly decided to go inside for supper.

The best part of the evening? Our bedtime conversation.

"H, thank you for playing outside with me. I had fun."

"I had fun, too, Mommy."

Hooray for DST!

No comments:

Post a Comment