Like what you read?

Like what you read?
Please vote daily! Just click on the banner!

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Originality

So after H telling me he "likes poop! It's yucky!" last night, I didn't tell you that for the next minute or so he stood as close as I would let him to the litter box and commented every time I scooped...big poop, little poop, big poop. big poop, little poop. Or course this was dependent on the size of the litter ball and poop on the scooper. Well, at least I know he's learning size differentiation!

Our usual in the door routine is set our items down, gather the pet bowls, fill the bowls with food, and feed the cats in this order 1) Howie, 2) Forte, 3) WillHe (in a separate room.) Most days he is happy to help me gather the bowls and get the container out of the lower cabinet. Occasionally, he says he doesn't want to help but I'll have him do a little task and then he'll want to help with the rest. This was one such night. He didn't want to help me feed the cats. He wanted to play in the middle of the kitchen floor. So, I asked him if he would help me get the bowls. "No, mommy already feed the cats." "No, H I didn't feed the cats. Their bowls are right here. Would you help me get the container out of the cupboard?" "Ok, okay Mommy." And then he does a little boy move which cracks me up every single time. What is it about little boys that they have this funny full of themselves way of walking that is a little like the beginning of a breakdance, not quite getting there turns into a pimp walk, with feet slightly dragging, all the while looking incredibly laid back???? It's so hilarious and impossible to describe. I know I'll never get it on video but if you have a little boy, I gather you've encountered the same movements. I've seen my oldest step-son (well into adulthood) and two of my nephews move the exact same way! I try so hard not to laugh.

Sometimes H and I go "shopping" which mostly means I just need time out of the house and we will hit a store (not a lot to choose from around here) and wander around. He is fine with that as long as he gets to look at the sports equipment and toys. We spend a significant amount of time just slowly moving down the aisles while he asks to see certain things. It is 99.99% of the time prefaced with "Yes, you can see it but we aren't going to take it home." He does pretty well with the concept overall. Anyhow, on one of our time killing shopping jaunts, he wanted to see several of the girls toys and dolls. This got me to thinking maybe I needed to expand his toy horizon a bit. We are well covered with cars, trucks, buses, trains, balls, etc. partly because he's so interested and partly because he has older brothers who were also well stocked. I didn't see any dolls that might work well for a boy - too "dolled" up, a bit over priced, and very plastic was all they had in the store. So, when we returned home and H finally got to sleep, I settled in for a little mommy research time on the Internet. I have discovered I am so thankful for the Internet living here! I have routinely shopped for things online for years but here it's become a necessity. I wound up reading about various people's viewpoints on why they gave a boy a doll. I wasn't interested in a "baby" doll but wanted something made out of cloth, preferably washable, and something that looked like him. I found two real choices. This week I finally ordered the less expensive of the two. If he doesn't play with it I haven't spent a fortune and if he does play with it I haven't spent a fortune. The doll came this week, along with some truck and popup books (just as an aside I order used whenever it makes sense) for later. I set the doll on the counter for a few days. Tonight he finally saw it and said "I want it. Mine." Ah, true toddler through and through. He played with it a bit and as we were getting ready for bed, I asked about it. He stated he wanted it. He kept saying "I have a boy!" "My boy!" "Little boy go to school?" "No, honey, he can't go to school but we can take him in the car and he will wait for you until I pick you up." "Ok."

As we were saying our good nights and giving "big squeeze, little squeeze" over the baby/dog gate, I mentioned we could name the boy. "H, what do you want to name him?" Deep thoughtful look for a few seconds, clearly contemplating the possibilities, as I eagerly awaited the response.

"Boy."

No comments:

Post a Comment