Like what you read?

Like what you read?
Please vote daily! Just click on the banner!

Monday, July 21, 2014

Interesting Things

I brought home a front page of a newspaper a few weeks ago for H. Summer school had a fireman visit and he mentioned a big fire that had just happened a few days earlier. I happened to see the picture of that fire in the paper. H loved the picture and took it to school to show everyone.

H asked me if I could bring home more newspapers so I brought him a couple last week. He didn't really pay much attention to them I didn't think. Saturday we were getting ready for a birthday party and H found a front page picture of a car and semi truck wreck.

Mom, what happened?
A semi truck and a car ran into each other. it was a bad accident but no one was hurt thankfully.
What happened? Look I can see the front of the truck. It looks like they were on the interstate at a bridge ( he knows his transportation modes and routes.)

Yes, they were on the interstate. I don't know what happened. The paper doesn't say what happened exactly. 
But why did the car and truck run into each other? Where were they going? Did someone do something bad? Did the truck hit the car? 

I don't know the answer to any of those questions. Most often the drivers don't really know what happened.
I'm going to cut the picture out and take it to show T today at the party. he would really like it.

(After the party)

Mom, I left the picture at T's house because I thought he would really like it. Yeah, I showed it to everyone.

(After supper)

Mom! No! Dad! Those are my papers! Mom, daddy put my papers in the fire .
Oh, I'm sorry honey I thought you were done with them.
No, they were my papers. 
I'm so sorry. Daddy didn't know and  I gave him the papers for the fire.
That's ok mom. I'm not mad. I'm not mad at you.
Well, I have more rappers at work. I get one everyday. I will bring some more home for you ok?
Ok. I just really like to look at interesting things. 

Mom, will you really bring me more papers?
Yes, honey. I apologize about the others.
That's ok mom, I'm not mad. I just like to see what's going on in the world.

Parental lesson of the day: never assume a pile of ignored papers has no value or interest to the person who is seemingly ignoring them but seems astute enough to tell that the pile is his pile from a distance of 20 feet or more as they are being wadded up for fire starter....AND be astounded that your not quite five year old really pays attention to the larger world around him....and then realize that of course he does...he has since he was a baby. Dumb mom moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment