Like what you read?

Like what you read?
Please vote daily! Just click on the banner!

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

I don't like that

H's class had a "Fairy Tale Ball" at school a while ago. I am not a big fan of some of the activities the school engages in for a couple of reasons but I do try to have H participate if he so desires and not weigh in with my biases.

The class had spent the week learning about and reading nursery rhymes. At some point, we were notified that a Fairy Tale Ball would take place and the kids could dress up at fairly tale characters. This primarily meant all the girls could be princesses and have twirly dresses and the boys, well, they could come up with something like a Prince Charming.

We don't have any Prince Charming stuff. We are about all things transportation and animal kingdom. As it happens, whenever dressing up is mentioned, H wants to wear his frog costume, This is a one piece fleece frog suit gained from the school garage sale in his first year at the school for only $3. It is from Old Navy and is really well made and wears and washes well. H even wore it to the "Super" birthday party in the fall. He was the only frog. There were Super Boys and Girls and Spidermen - well you get the gist of the theme - and one frog. I have the best pictures of Super Girl and Super Boy as the frog H hops around.

H loves froggie. So, he wanted to wear froggie to the school dress up "Fairy Tale Ball." It occurred to me that work as the "Enchanted Prince."

Mommy, the what? I don't want to be a Prince. I'm a frog!

The designated day came and all manner of "fancy" dresses appeared and some Prince Charming outfits and some not so much were worn by the boys. There were treats, music, and dancing. A picture was taken of H with one of his favorite girl classmates - imagine an old school snow white dancing with the frog and you get the picture - very cute I might add.

Anyway, that night during talking time when he talks in an effort to keep me from leaving the room so he has to go to bed, the topic turned to the day's events.

Did you have a good day today?
No.
Did you have fun at the ball?
No. I liked the dancing.
Well, what didn't you like about the ball?
Mommy, they made fun of me wearing froggy.
Who did?
The kids in my class.
I'm sorry honey. Who made fun of you?
My friends.
I'm sorry to hear that. Sometimes people are not very nice. Did it upset you?
Uh huh. I didn't like that.

The sound of a Mommy heart breaking....

No comments:

Post a Comment