Like what you read?

Like what you read?
Please vote daily! Just click on the banner!

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

To Gym or Not to Gym...What will H do?

H is not overly adventurous when it comes to new situations. I usually try to get him thinking about a new activity only a day or two in advance so as not to give him too much time to stress about the situation. Last week the opportunity was presented to participate in a preschooler gym class. It's supposed to be a precursor to gymnastics. H loved the gym bus (as I called it) at his prior daycares so I sought out a place to take him that would be similar. It worked out we were able to be added to a class already in progress, not too far from home, and not too late at night, and not too late in the week. These things all bode well for his enery level in an effort to keep the whine/cry mode to a minimum once he gets tired. This is a typical H approach to new things.

Three days prior:
H would you like to go to a gym class where you could do the same things you did on the gym bus?
No.
You liked the bus. Are you sure you don't want to go?
No.

Two days prior:
H, we get to go to the gym class Monday.
I don't want to go to gym.

One day prior:
H tomorrow after school we get to go to gym class.
Can't we stay home?

Morning of:
After school we get to go to gym class.
I don't want to go to gym.
You might like it.
No.
Well, can we just go visit?
No.

After school just prior to class:
H guess what we get to do? We get to go to gym class.
I don't want to go.
Well, why don't we just go and check it out?
Will you come with me? You stay with me Mommy?
Yes, I will be there with you.
Can I just watch?
Yes, we can just watch today.

Arrival and change clothes enter door with 4 little girls who have already been in class for 4 weeks. H hangs onto my neck and won't look at the teacher.

Who's this?
Buried head into my neck.
Do you want to have mommy stay for a while with you?
Slight nodding.
Okay.

First H stays in my lap all curled up and not really wanting to watch. The teacher has the girls stand by little cones and do different activities. H has some interest but not enough want to move out of my lap. He is now sitting up though and paying attention. Then the girls get to bring their cones, H is encouraged to take a cone to the teacher, too! He dashes over and quickly hands off the green cone and runs back to my lap. Now he's sitting on the edge of my foot, then on the floor next to me, then walks a foot over to the big mat, then returns to my lap. We do this routine while the girls and teacher do some other activities.

They other kids move over to a new mat. H wants to join now but asks me to sit along the closest wall. The kids are going to do somersaults. H can do these. He wants to participate but still isn't completely sure. I keep encouraging him. He watches the girls. He goes over to the line. He comes back. He sits, he goes, he peers at the mat, he hangs out in the front of the line but not taking a turn. The girls aren't quite sure what to do with him. Finally, he gets up the courage to want to try a somersault. Down the mat he goes! Then a mad dash back to me. Back to the mat, hanging out in the front again while others go. He takes a turn - mad dash back and we do a high five. We do this three more times and then he's good for a while.

The teacher moves to the cartwheel mat. He's back in my lap but doesn't stay long. He takes up his residence at the front of the line just watching again. This is new to him. He gets up the nerve to try. Mad dash to the lap. Tries again, hangs out. He begins to laugh and smile. He hasn't figured out the cartwheel at all but is beginning to fully participate.

At the end of class:
He stands last in line to get his hand stamp. He confidently declares "I want two." He gets them then starts to dash over to me when the teacher says "Can I have a hug?" He beelines back to her, gives her a hug and a patented H smile dimples and all then has to show me his stamps.

He sits down to put on his shoes "Mommy, I like gym."
I'm glad H. I thought you might like it.

We walk out the door and he sees all the big kids in the large gym doing tumbling, beams, bars, and vault. His eyes just get big and he wants to see.

I want to go in there! (We have to go to the balcony so he can see everyone at once.)
Mommy, why can't we go down there?

Well, that is for big kids. If you go to class for a while, you can go down there, too. Did you have fun? Do you want to come back?

Yes. Mommy, I want to do gym! Mommy I want S to do gym, too.

Well, buddy, I don't know about that. He may not like doing gym like you do.

Mommy, can we come back?

Yes, H, we'll come back next week.





No comments:

Post a Comment