Like what you read?

Like what you read?
Please vote daily! Just click on the banner!

Sunday, September 30, 2012

Saying of the Day: I have my roses on!

H is thoroughly enthralled with my mom "Grandma." Not Grandmaw, not Grandmother, more like "Gramma." I think it's because she was with me when we got custody of H. The whole waiting for your kid thing was a bit wierd. We had opted to fly a few days early to Kaz so my mom could experience Almaty for herself and see where H came from. It also saved us hundreds on the airfare (later spent on the hotel room but that's a different story). So, we were there ahead of the other families that were there to pick up their kids. All our families opted to meet in Almaty instead of Karaganda. Since we were ahead of everyone, we were left to our own devices (happily) for those few days. However, it meant not getting the same information all as a group. The morning of arrival, I didn't have any idea how the day would play out. We hadn't received any communication from our contact there as to arrival time. There were no messages waiting at the desk (not that the hotel staff was particularly gracious about our presence to begin with). We woke up, got dressed and leisurely went down to eat breakfast. While eating, I noticed the other families waiting in the lobby (breakfast was in a loft overlooking lobbyy). You know the telltale signs of something is going to happen, waiting expectantly, with cameras, and kind of nervously pacing....hmmmmm. Then, someone said "They're here!" So we quickly went downstairs. I didn't have time to go get my camera or anything else. We reached the first floor and everyone else just seemed to stand there as if waiting for some kind of ceremony. I looked around, couldn't figure out what the correct protocal was supposed to be (having never done that kind of thing - you know meeting someone else to take custody of your own child) and said "Well, I'm going to go get my son." With that, I walked out the door with my mom right behind me. The driver got out of the car and walked around to the passenger rear door and a young woman got out holding H. Now, at this time I noticed it wasn't one of the doctors or one even one of the staff that I knew as was supposed to travel. However, I really didn't care. I took him and all was well. You know there aren't any pictures of me being handed my son but at the time all I wanted was to just to get him and keep him. I checked him over. Thanked the young lady who obviously thought he was the cutest thing ...then...well, I handed him off to my mom so I could run up and get my camera!! I have the best picture of the the two of them smiling/laughing at each other.

So, ever since that time (and the 36 hour flight back) H has been very attached to my mom. My parents joined us celebrating H's birthday a few weeks ago. It's gotten a little colder here. It's no longer 98 degrees at night so Grandma woke up one morning and had a robe on.

"Grandma, what's that?" Grandma has a blank look since she is simply standing in the hallway dressed without anything seemingly new.
"Grandma, what you wearing?"
Grandma's response "A robe."

Fast forward to this morning while we are playing "truck" on mommy and daddy's bed.
"Mommy, look I have my roses on! Just like Grandma!"

No comments:

Post a Comment