Like what you read?

Like what you read?
Please vote daily! Just click on the banner!

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Saying of the Day: I need another one!

We have always encouraged H to be "helpful." We try not to use "good" or "bad" but rather try to instill a desire to be helpful and thereby wanting to do as we ask rather than being punished for not doing what is requested/asked. Although we have plenty of "not so" helpful moments, on the whole, H is a pretty good helper. He helps feed the pets, puts the dishes away, carries recycling, and puts away his clothes (not folded yet but that's ok we can work on that later.)

Sometimes his desire to be helpful is slightly colored by his 2GO3 point of view of the world as evidenced last week. I am down to my last few weeks of wearing braces. H has never seen me without braces so it will be interesting to see his reaction when I get them off. He has shown interest in them and asks to touch them at times but they are accepted as just the way Mommy is.

Anyhow, I am now wearing two rubber bands in sort of a triangle formation on either side of my front teeth upper and lower. I am used to it now but they do present a problem for eating at times as I cannot get the food  past the bands. Last week just before we sat down to dinner, I removed my bands to eat. H already had his food when he jumped up and said "I need another one!" He rushed to the desk drawer in the kitchen and started rummaging around. I was caught off guard by his sudden dash. I tried contemplating what on earth he was going to get another one of. My first inclination was to ask him to sit down and eat but now I was slightly curious. He dashed back to the table with a look of accomplishment on his face and in all seriousness said "Mommy, here, I got you another one!"

A split second later it dawned on me he had gone to the drawer to get me another rubber band to put on my braces....and was so earnest in handing it to me. I was really glad I had stopped for just a second and didn't admonish him to just sit back down. It's good to know he's thinking about other people and connecting the dots!

"Thank you helper boy! I'll just put it right here for now." I set it aside and he went back to eat. I thought I was in the clear since he seemed to forget about it after dinner and bed. However, in the morning, he duly noted "Mommy, why it still there? How come you not wearing it?"

"Thank you H, I have one already."






No comments:

Post a Comment