Like what you read?

Like what you read?
Please vote daily! Just click on the banner!

Sunday, September 29, 2013

COTD

We have a phenomenon I call the COTD - Creature of the Day.

Mom, I'm a skunk today. (This is fairly new COTD.) H watches and LOVES Wild Kratts. Our most common animal is by far the general domesticated house cat. Otherwise, our days are filled, sometimes like a revolving door with rhinos, dinosaurs, big cats, snakes, bugs of all kinds, spiders, and these days zebras.

H: Mom, I dreamed about a skunk this morning.
M: What was the skunk doing?
H: I don't know. I just dreamed about one.

I don't know if the skunk was precipitated by WK or by Curious George who finds a black and white "kitty" who turns out to not be a kitty.

Anyway, all day H was a skunk. Walked like a skunk, smelled like a skunk, and even created a skunk "hole" in which to take a nap. All this was good as today was gray and cloudy and all creatures were restless....I even threw Piper out in the backyard. I finally took a show later in the day (after wrestling with some pants I was trying to fix - a whole different story.)

The scene: me taking a shower

H: Mom?
M: Yes?
H: What does (garble garble water sounds) ing mean?
M: What does growing mean?
H: No, THROWING!
M:Throwing?
H: Yes, throwing. Why did you throw Piper outside?
M: (chuckle) I just meant I wanted her to go outside into the backyard because she was driving me nuts.
H: Oh. Do you want to throw me into the backyard?
M: I might.
H: Ok.

Shower stop, ask for return of rug which has been replaced by alternately crashing cars, dry off.

H: Mom?
M: Yes?
H: Can you make my hair stick up for my mane again (zebra mane although most folks' first impression would be punk rock kid Mohawk. I must admit that would be mine and I would groan inwardly thinking - REALLY people can't you just give up on the 80's why do you have to have your kid relive it now that you are middle aged....now I feel such remorse for those thoughts....)?
M: Sure. (Gel done and mane accomplished)
H: Mom?
M: Yes?
H: Can I give you a mane?
M: No, not today. My hair is too long.
H: Like a tail! Can I comb your tail?

So for the next half hour he combed and combed and combed and combed my hair. We were so quiet hubby/daddy came upstairs looking for us!

H: Mom?
M: Yes?
H: What's a beauty shop? (Brief discussion ensues regarding barbers and beauticians)
H: Mom?
M: Yes?
H: This is a skunk beauty shop and I'm a skunk beautician.
M: Ok. Can you make this skunk look pretty?
H: Yes, but I need something to use as skunk spray.

And, indeed, a skunk resided in our home all day today, well at least until after bath when suddenly the nocturnal zebra reappeared.....

No comments:

Post a Comment