Like what you read?

Like what you read?
Please vote daily! Just click on the banner!

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Saying of the Day: Thanks, Mom.

Last Christmas I actually wrapped up a pair of fleece pajamas for H. When I was a kid, we always received a new pair of pajamas at Christmas. I'm not sure how I was when I was very young, but as I got older, I used to look forward to opening those new pajamas and often wanted to wear them that night. I presume my mom washed them so I could wear them but that part is a little fuzzy in the memory.

I don't know exactly what I was expecting but some recognition of the effort would have been welcome even from a 2yo. I thought H would ooh and ahh because well, they had footballs all over the pants and we were still very much in the "ball"stage (separate story about football obsession.)

H wasn't quite as bad about opening a box of clothes as my step-son who basically just tosses them aside. H at least looked at it, seemed a little confused, figured it wasn't a toy, and THEN put the box aside. Maybe the process will speed up as he gets older...sigh.

Anyhow, H is going to start a new school the end of the month. It really is a school this time and not just daycare. It is a private school and requires all the kids to wear uniforms. Unfortunately, the school only allows families to buy uniforms from one place via catalog. Apparently even schools are all about "me" these days and seek out the best way to leverage things to the advantage of the school. I'm pretty sure khakis are khakis and they don't need to be $30...but I digress (and I did NOT pay $30 for the khakis as I found some discontinued in the catalog for $10 - whoohoo!)

I bought the clearance items earlier in the summer but the school has a used uniform sale before school each year. I was happy to hear the school has a used uniform store. H wears mostly used clothes from the thrift store which I got for $1 before we moved. I have him fully clothed until age 5. Of course, now the irony is he won't need all those clothes since he will be wearing a uniform.

I really scored at the used sale. The school has only had the youngest ages for a couple of years so there were not many toddler sized clothes. I did score a fleece jacket, fleece vest, and a sweatshirt which would have set me back about $100 all for only $15. The smallest they make is a 4T so we are covered for a couple of years at least. I also managed to get two pairs of pants and two shirts. He can make it through the week without me washing.

To begin the process of introducing yet another new school, I showed H the "special" clothes I bought for him. "H, look at this! This is your special new jacket and your special shirt!" done Vanna White style sweeping my hand across the emblem for extra eye grabbing attention.

Surprisingly, he takes the jacket from me and looks at it carefully, inspects the logo, and runs his hands over it. He seems satisfied and hands it back to me.

"Thanks mom. Thanks for buying me special clothes."

Can I get a recording and play it back when he's 15?

No comments:

Post a Comment